Autobiography: My Cars

i remembered the first car that i drove was a old Honda Civic, the squarish backlight type... i did not have a Class 3 driving license during this drive... not illegal, this was my instructor's car.

Failed once but quickly got 12 points for the second one... it was 1997, forgotten the date but i knew that it is one day before Chinese New Year's Eve... the tester should be in a CNY mood and passed me pretty fast...

my first possession of car... right after my customary wedding in Dec 2000... a red 9-years 9-months old Hyundai Elantra, some SBC plate that i don't remember. got the first mini-accident at AYE, kana the back portion of a taxi driver. no injury, no visible damage to his taxi but paid 50bucks to settle... the Hyundai died on me along Clementi towards Ngee Ann poly...anyway, this was a soon-to-be-scrapped car (3 to 4 months before expiry).

second car was a red Charade, old old 19-years old... NO POWER STEERING, really sweat when steering in stationary position or parking... this was a short rental that lasted 3 months... although a 1-litre, it is really raw power... i love manual cars... just revved and revved, used engine brake to swerved...

my first automatic white car was a Nissan badge (third car), the first generation of Preser, i took it around mid 2001... the body was long, the car was low (i felt liked i was sitting on the road)... the first car that i sent to workshop for repairs... or rather my fren (who drove it)... aircon conked out... the boot was big but it was not spacious at all... i sold it... this was a lucky car... COE was 50bucks at that time... even though this car was going to be scrapped, i got 2000+ cash back...

of course, all this while, i had gotten all these cheap cars from my bro, Jimmy... a car enthusiast by nature... he lives, talks and "breathes" car... now a Sales Manager for AutoFrance (Peugeot)...

with the cheap COE for renewed car (Oct 2001), my bro quickly gotten a good deal for me... a blue manual Nissan Sunny (1.4L) (the famous long-backlight model) SBT6030U... the first car that i took up car loan, since then, there is no turning back... i need a car to travel... *sigh*

COE certificate around 18k+, PARF around 15k+, paid 33k+ in total for 10 years of driving... quite a good car, the drive and feel... as this was a 10-years old vehicle... i "invested" a fair bit of $$, changing the suspension, aircon, power steering, etc... using reconditioned parts... it was the first time that i felt that i truly owned a car... this car lasted for 1 years 2 months (around end Dec 2002) and was sold to my fren without any loss... how lucky.

my first new car was a (obvious) silver Peugeot 206 1.4A SDW7626E, owned 28 Jan 2003...

during this period (Dec 2002 to Jan 2003), i was driving
- my bro's old Peugeot 405: went to KL and back, very stable and great handling.
- my sis-in-law's Hyundai Elantra (modded), a 1.6M but engine was 1.8M, crazy power and hungry for petrol.

Pugs (as many would called Peugeot 206) was a great car, it was the champion car for WRC (3 straight years)... great handling and cornering... oversteer or understeer? no such thing in this car... the only drawback was the road noise, but i like it... drove to KL and back upteem times, going at 110-155kmh (that's my car top speed), so stable...so safe at high speed... alas, it had to go as my power steering started to leak heavily.




21st Dec 2007: SJA7024L was "awarded" to my silver 1.8A Honda Stream. first time driving an i-VTEC engine (except for a brief drive on Civic VTEC that belongs to Raymond). so far so good...

the story shall continue... when 4D is strike!

Comments

Anonymous said…
I am the friend who bought the SBT6030U and sold with loss on paper for 8k. haha but the Car still on the road........

Now YRV turbo rules ya!
haha

All the best with your new rides & Chung 4D Before CNY!
soulz007 said…
trying out my luck... it seems like i shouldn't buy and ppl will strike... like that how?

Popular posts from this blog

drawing of a landmark in Singapore

free publicity for bloggers

Autobiography: My Mum